Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm a bus drivin' mama

Yes, I drive a school bus and here is the really weird thing. I LOVE it. It is a challanging, yet satisifing job. But above that, I am a mom to 5 kids of my own. So, I guess that I started training to be a school bus driver before I ever sat down behind that big 20 inch wheel.

This blog is to talk about what happens on the bus and issues related to driving the bus. I drive for a small school district in Idaho. No real names will be posted to protect people who may not appreciate being mentioned in the blogosphere.

First, a bit of background. I started out as a special needs bus aide. Actually, I started out as a crossing guard. I needed a way to bring in some extra income to our family without having to place our youngest child in day care. A friend from our church drives for the same school district and mentioned to me that they were looking for aides. I put in my app and they only had a spot open for crossing guard. I worked as a guard for about October and November--very cold October and November--when I was brought on as a aide on a preschool route. Many of the drivers encouraged me to obtain my CDL. I thought they were crazy and I thought there is NO WAY I could climb on board a bus and turn my back on 60+ kids. :) By May, I had decided to become a driver. My trainers were excited and 6 weeks after prying my sweaty palms off the wheel and bracing my shakey knees, I now turn my back on lots of kids! The school district did issue me an extra set of eyeballs in the back of my head LOL!

I now drive a kindergarten route and drive a group of high schoolers to a technical training education center. I also drive field trips and sub on any routes I can pick up. My family has been so supportive of me and best of all, I can take my 4 yr old on the bus with me. He has a special car seat and has fun with the high school students.

Stay posted for more bus driving fun!

No comments: