Friday, May 16, 2008

It means STOP

I had my first ever stop arm violation yesterday! I 've had people blow thru the stop arm, but if I don't get a license plate number, I can't do anything about it. But, I got lucky. The car that ran my sign was going slow enought that I caught the plate and a description of the driver. So, when I got back to the shop, the paperwork started. I had to have a light inspection done than 3 sheets of paper work, basically telling the story on each one. It took almost 45 minuets to fill out. The paperwork is turned over right away to the local sheriff. He called me and gave me a choice of actions. I could insist that the driver be ticketed or, if I didn't want to mess with going to court, the sherriff would track the driver down and talk to them, giving a warning. If the driver turns out to be a jerk about it, he will get the ticket.

Stop arm violations are $75. $300 if it goes to court and judges have no compassion on drivers who blow thru the stop arm. I mean, it's a big yellow vehical and when it is stoped in the middle of the road, something is happening and you best see what you need to do. I even gave plenty of warning that I was making a stop. Law requires us to activate the amber warning lights (on the top of the bus) 200 ft before the student stop. I was on a busy roadway with heavy traffic, so I activated mine at least 300 ft and even waited for a break in traffic before opening the door which activates the red flashing lights and puts out the stop arm.

I really hope it doesn't go to court, but it would be interesting too...I'll update this when I knw more.

No comments: